Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Lesson 1 - World Book Online


Things have definitely changed since I was a kid and spent time reading our World Book encyclopedias. What a great resource for not only students, but everyone who loves to learn. I checked out the World Book School Edition and did the basic discover exercises listed, but I also checked out the World Book Advanced Public Library edition and found easy access to newspapers.
 
Using World Book Kids, I searched for information on the Giant Panda which lives in the forests of China. Giant Pandas eat Bamboo, but the Panda’s in the wild are losing their habitat.

Next I viewed the World Book Student edition where I compared the amount of information it showed when I looked up Giant Pandas. There is at least twice the information in World Book Student and it goes into more detail as you would expect.

Then I went on to check out the World Book Advanced edition and I searched for Germany. I like that the left hand side bar has the contents neatly laid out and easy to scan, while the right side has related information and the content standards.

My last exploration was to use the browse function in the World Book Discover and find an article on American government. It is great that the articles can be translated into different languages and it is very helpful that there is a read-aloud function available.

1 comment:

  1. Great discoveries!! World Book Online is so different than the World Book paper encyclopedias we grew up with! There are some great interactive learning tools--in World Book Kids, World of Animals allows you to compare animals. World Book Kids and World Book Student have compare places.

    Thanks for the great post! -Julie

    ReplyDelete