Friday, January 24, 2014

Week two, here we go!!!

I started off this week with the ChiltonLibrary. I never knew this existed and this is the first time I've been to the site. I found a lot of information about automobiles.

Basic Discovery Exercise
1. Look up the maintenance schedule for your vehicle. View the whole chart and list 3 things that should be done at 30,000 miles. My vehicle didn’t have 30,000 miles as an option. It had 25,000 miles and 50,000 miles so I went with the 50,000 since that is closest to my mileage. 1) replace the air cleaner filter, 2) replace the passenger compartment air filter and 3) inspect the fuel system.

2. What was the most recent Technical Service Bulletin or Recall notice on your car about and when was it issued? A Clunk or Thump type of noise from  the front suspension was the most recent technical service bulletin.

3. Click to the Repair tab and note some of the information about brakes for your car.  I found under the Anti-lock braking system a lot of information such as: description and operation procedures, diagnostic information and procedures, repair instruction, special tools and equipment and the specifications.
Next I went on to explore Mango. I thought this would be exciting when I saw the posters up on the doors of the library and was excited to try it out. Here's my Basic Discover Exercise.


Basic Discovery Exercise
1. In Mango, choose a language. Before you click “Launch,” read about the language and culture. What did you learn?  I learned that German is spoken not only in Germany, but also in Austria and Switzerland.


2. Click“Launch” and try out a lesson. How helpful would this program be to help you learn a language? What did you like? What didn’t you like? Why? I loved this. I took German in high school and boy have I forgotten a lot. It is easy to use and the lessons are short. It is free, which is always great. I also am wondering if I can use the translate tab in my genealogy to translate some German language that I don’t know.


1 comment:

  1. What wonderful discoveries! I just learned about the passenger compartment air filter myself! ChiltonLibrary is a great automotive resource.
    Mango is a fabulous resource! We are really excited about it and have heard of many people who are using it to refresh their knowledge of languages they learned in high school and college. The translate tab is a literal translation so it won't be grammatically correct but you would get the general idea.
    Thanks for your post! Julie

    ReplyDelete