Friday, March 20, 2015

Lesson 7 -- EBooks on EbscoHost (formerly NetLibrary)

Advanced Challenge1. Try out the “Advanced Search” feature. Click “Advanced Search” under the search box. Do a search on a topic that interests you, or search “South Dakota.” Play around with options and choose one title. Report your explorations and how you think patrons or students would like this feature.
  • I decided to work in the subject field first so I typed in genealogy or family history.
  • Then I set the date to 2000 or later
  • I then checked for which ones could be downloaded to use offline and most of the 20 could
I found some very good books that I know I will use for my own family history quest. I think this is a great tool for people. I think some people who aren't as computer knowledgeable would need some help with how to use it, (I could even use some help with the notes, etc.) but I still think it is great.
2. You and your grandmother are talking about childhood books. She recalls enjoying a series of fairy tale books. Each one was a different color. Find these books in Ebooks on Ebscohost. Report your search process, the author and the titles you found.
  • This one took some thinking, I cleared everything out by doing a new search, then I went to ebooks at the top of the page, then I clicked on children young adults fiction, to narrow it down more I went and clicked on Fairy Tales and started scrolling down and found them; the Yellow Fairy Book, the Violet Fairy Book and the Red Fairy Book. The author is Andrew Lang and they were published in 1996.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that ebooks on ebsco is kind of clunky to use, but as you can see, it contains useful information. Best wishes on your family history work, and good job finding the fairy tale books by Andrew Lang. Thanks for your post!

    ReplyDelete