Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Lesson 9 -- History and Genealogy Resources—Ancestry Library, Heritage Quest and Sanborn Maps

Advanced Challenge 1. You have heard that the Titanic had a sister ship or two and want more information, including a picture, if possible. You try AncestryLibrary's "Ship Pictures and Descriptions" collection. Report your search and your findings.
  • Okay, I probably cheated on this one, but I needed a starting place so I did a Google search for Titanic sister ships and found the Olympic. After I had a name I went to Passenger Ships and Images; Browse the Collection and put in the letter "O" and then scrolled to Olympic. There were eight images for the Olympic.
 2. A student is working on a report about the dirigible, the Hindenburg, and comes to you for help. You try AncestryLibrary's Newspapers & Publications collection. What are your results?
  • I started with a Newspaper search for the Hindenburg and it showed 437 articles. I then clicked on publications and it added four more for a total of 441. When I looked at some of the articles I noticed that it was also using Hindenburg as a person's name. So I edited the search and added the word dirigible and came up with 596 newspapers and 22 publications. Again, in looking a lot of the items were for names. When I narrowed it further to "dirigible Hindenburg" I came up with 7.

3. Your county is celebrating a big anniversary, and townsfolk want some historical information. In HeritageQuest, which collection do you search? What are your results?
  •  One of the collections I searched was the PERSI archive under places and put in the county where a lot of my ancestors lived in the past. I got 17 hits for Spink County and the majority had something to do with what I was looking for. Some were too broad.
  • I also went on Maps and saw how the county changed over the years and thought that would be interesting information to have also.
  • I had a lot of trouble on this one. I was hoping to do better, but it just wasn't happening.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Ann! Your sentence about cheating made me smile. It is true that it helps to know some history when navigating these databases, and you found what you were after in AncestryLibrary with that info. You could have searched for "Titanic" in "Ship Pictures and Descriptions," and it would have brought up pictures of the Titanic and the Olympic. Many ways to get a right answer! For #2, you found found results from the time period! Maybe from Stars & Stripes? Yes, you have to be persistent and weed out people's names. #3 The PERSI archive gave you hits--just remember that these are not full-text articles, though you could interlibrary loan them. The Maps was a great idea--very interesting to see changes through the years. This was not intended to be a trick question but is tending to be a challenging challenge question for participants. Patience, persistence, & playing around with different searches will get you different results. Try the Books & City Directories section, and in the keyword field toward the bottom of the search page, type "Spink County." You will get over 200 results, some more relevant than others. Sorry for your frustration. We appreciate your time and work!

    ReplyDelete